St. Xavier's College Kolkata
St. Xavier's College was founded in the year 1860 by the Catholic Minority Religious organization, Society of Jesus; moreover, it was affiliated with Calcutta University in the year 1862. While preference is given to educational as well as cultural requirements of Minority community, admission will be given to all the irrespective of creed, caste, and nationality. St. Xavier's College provides Under Graduate and Pot Graduate courses in five faculties: Science, Arts, Commerce, Education, and Business Administration. It also provides different professional diploma and degree courses under the Career Oriented Programs, at IGNOU Convergence Scheme as well as Computer Centre.
The instruction medium is English. Nevertheless, candidates coming from dialect medium schools are provided facilities to develop their skills of spoken English.
The quarter of the century before current St Xavier’s College started in the year 1860 in redundant San Souci Theatre with Park St, by Belgian Jesuits, the international group for Jesuits specially made by English Jesuit Province grounded in the Calcutta to appear after interests of Catholics. The team was lead by the Dr Robert St Leger.
A follower of Jesuits with active support for laying people well known amongst them being O’Briens, Cantophers, and Corneliuses, and Belgian Jesuits were demanded to come at Calcutta to watch over education of Catholic community. In the year 1859, Jesuits grounded on shores of Charnock city, by making no. 10 Pk St, home, and handed over by Mgr Olliffe.
On the 16 January 1860, college of the St. Francis Xavier personified with St Xavier’s College in 10 Park St. Its founder and leader was Fr Depelchin. This college was given affiliation by the Calcutta University in the year 1862.
Here is the contact address of St. Xavier’s College, Kolkata
St. Xavier's College,
30 Parka Street,
(30 Mother Teresa Sarani),
Kolkata - 700016
For details visit: http://www.sxccal.edu/start.htm